Monday, September 1, 2008

Survey says: CHOOSE MY OWN ADVENTURE

(A truly interactive poll)

It's a bit risky, I know. But since traveling among the British Isles is relatively cheap (about £25 round trip), I'm going to let you the loyal reader decide a destination of mine outside London.

Take a look at that poll on the right of the blog. The voting has already begun. The poll will last through next Wednesday (the 24th) at midnight EST.*

Below I've listed my stereotyped pros and cons of each place listed in the poll. I have limited knowledge about each place*, so perhaps it's a smart decision to open this up to outsiders. Comments explaining your vote are much appreciated.

(Oh and also I totally snubbed Wales. If you feel Wales should be in poll, give me a shout out explaining why)
----------------------

THE DESTINATIONS

Belfast, Northern Ireland
Smashing: City where the Titanic was built
Bollocks: Why Northern Ireland when you can go to ALL of Ireland?

Cork, Ireland
Smashing: I know nothing about Cork (ooh mysterious)
Bollocks: I know nothing about Cork (ooh scary)


Dublin, Ireland
Smashing: Home of leprechauns*
Bollocks: Home of
U2

Glasgow, Scotland
Smashing: Kilts

Bollocks: Bagpipes

Edinburgh, Scotland
Smashing: Second most popular tourist destination in the U.K. behind London
Bollocks: Since NFL Europe folded, I will never have the chance to watch the Scottish Claymores in action

Liverpool, England
Smashing: The Beatles
Bollocks: Uh, so like, does anyone know anything else about Liverpudlians and their city besides Paul, John, Ringo and George?

Isle of Man
Smashing: The name invokes a feeling of
manliness.
Bollocks: Am I, perhaps, already too
manly for the Isle of Man?


Bono: Spoiling your good times since 1976

--
Foot notes
*Currently, I believe I have very few non-American viewers. So until I start getting some Brits on this blog, I'll respect your American time zones. YOU'RE WELCOME!

*For example, I only included Isle of Man among my possible options because I think the name is funny.

*While Ireland might be home to the leprechauns, many supposedly vacation to warmer climates in the fall and winter. Of course, I'm speaking of Mobile, Alabama.*

*It's probably been at least a year since you done seen the leprechaun video ("Yeah!"). You gotta admit, it doesn't get old.

11 comments:

Erinn Connor said...

i just have to say i am so grateful for all the bono hatred in this post. thumbs up.

anyway, i think you should visit Rotherhithe. i'll let you figure out why.

Anonymous said...

Lep in the Hood, come to do no good!

Andy McCullough said...

Yes, hate on a man who's done more good for the world than any of you fucks.

You should go to Liverpool, NY.

Melissa said...

Clever bastard!

Unknown said...

I'd advocate going to Liverpool, as it's home of Liverpool FC, currently riding high after beating Manchester United and winning their first Champions League group game (2-1 away to Marseille). Liverpudlians are known for thieving and for being totally unintelligible in speech (LFC's center half, Jamie Carragher, is less understandable than LFC's Spaniard manager, Rafa Benitez).

Or you could pay a visit to my great-great-great grandfather's grave in Cork, Ireland. His name was Hugh Clark.

Anonymous said...

I have to say either Liverpool or Edinburgh. I don't know much about Europe, but based on what you listed under each location, I'd say it should be one of those two.

-Austin

Lesley said...

Levin! Please change the color scheme. White on black gives me a headache.

Matt Levin said...

Thanks everyone for the comments so far. Keep the suggestions coming.*

*Gotta admit Liverpool (in England) is sounding pretty awesome. And obviously nobody feels I'm worthy of the Isle of Man, but that's cool.

Unknown said...

I think you should go to Liverpool. It's got the best music scene. <3. wiiiiii.

Eddie said...

what's wrong with Bono?

And England? Just flaneur that shit.

Eddie said...

-eddie