Thursday, September 4, 2008

Day 10: 2-4-6-0-1

(Who am I? And what classes am I taking in London?)

Unfortunately, the whole reason I’m in London is to learn. This is opposed to eating, which is what I’d much rather do for four months in London. However, as demonstrated by this classic Monty Python skit eating for four consecutive months has its risks. So I guess I’ll learn (and possibly eat, time permitting).

I made sure to sign up for some fairly awesome “only in London” classes. Check’em out:



These above images all represent the four classes I'm taking this semester.

Can you guess what courses I'm taking?


No? You're not even going to take a guess?

Why not?

Fine. Be an ass. It's all listed below anyway.


America: A Foreign Perspective:
This class is a little embarrassing since I think my British teacher knows more about United States than I do.* The class will mainly focus on how Britain looks at America. And the “special relationship” (Yeah, I never heard of it neither) between the two countries). It’s not all politics though. There’s cultural stuff too. Like why are certain bands that are huge in England like Oasis unable to make it in the U.S.* (I thought it was just cause Noel Gallagher sucked)* And vice versa. (I thought it was just cause Dave Matthews sucked.)

Oooh. Sorry about the venomous statements toward popular musical acts. It won’t happen again.

Contemporary British Theatre:
This happens to be the course where I get to see Les Miserable—the greatest musical ever!—on stage in London. The class consists of watching 12 plays, one a week, over the course of a semester. We have to write a couple reviews. But we also get to attend Les Miz, in the city where it all started. Oh and we get to see Avenue Q, too. Puppet nudity, anyone?

International Law:
Maybe some of you guys don’t get turned on learning about the UN, participating in a moot court and understanding the Law of Outer Space*, but I do. Every now and then I have to take a cold shower just thinking about it.


Visual Issues in the Media:
A class on how the British media use images to brainwash us. Pretty fun. Especially when the class includes a field trip to the BBC Studios, a discussion on what was the deal with Princess Di, and a viewing of Four Weddings and a Funeral. Helloooo Hugh Grant.


---
Foot Notes
*But can he name all 150 original pokemon? I thought not.

*Cool story I learned from Prof. Boys. There's a theory that the reason The Beatles came so popular in America was because they timed it perfectly. If they crossed the pond any earlier, it would've been too soon after JFK's death. Any later and another band might've replaced them as the United States was looking for a pick-me-up after Kennedy's assassination. But The Beatles cashed in. Take that, The Dave Clark Five.

*Yeah, I went there. However, I didn't go here. Ouch...not cool.

*This is NOT the Law of Outer Space. But, it should be.

WELCOME TO EARF!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha yes I would much rather eat for 4 months too. That Python skit does have a point, though.
I also laughed at the Pokemon comment. I can't name more than maybe 2, so does that make me un-American?
And as for that Oasis comment, I know the story behind the clip of the singer being attacked on stage.
Earlier last month, there was a festival in England that Jay-Z headlined. Usually, hip-hop is not a prt of this festival, and Oasis protested, with Noel basically saying Jay sucks.
Well the guy who attacked him happened to be a Jay-Z fanatic and took the comment personal. The end.

That media class sounds interesting, too. They should use one about how the US brainwashes people through media.

All in all though, all 4 classes sound interesting.

Anonymous said...

Monty Python, my favorite. Not one thin mint. Remember, if life gets you down, "Always look on the bright side of life."

Brainwashing? Is it just like the liberal brainwashing that goes on in U.S. universities? Maybe just with an accent. (Or do we have the accent?)

Gators won big. Go Orange. (and blue)

What are they saying about our election? Are they all Bush haters?

Go to class, study, and stay out of trouble in Amsterdamn. Stay out of smokey places and strange women.

Anonymous said...

The greatest upset of the 21st century... Dolphins 38- Patriots 13!

Matt Levin said...

I only meant brainwashing as an exaggeration kinda way. I mean, it's kinda the media's job to brainwash you and tell you what's important...so you keep coming back. Well, newspapers area probably the least biased. But everybody else, esp. PR/advertising, is all about the brainwashing, baby. not that it's a bad thing. I love every commercial about McDonald's Dollar menu.

And yes England HATES Bush. They love making fun of Palin, too. But more than anything they hate Bush. I don't even know if they like Obama or dislike McCain, but they don't want a Republican elected just because of Bush.

Jay Z > Oasis by 1 billion

Anonymous said...

Understood.
I agree, they do have to brainwash people.
There's a reason why the news is always about "_____ murdered" "such and such tragedy", and all that... because it draws people in!
And commercials too, like you said. The catchier it is, the more likely you are to think of them when you get hungry, or need whatever they sell.